|Identifying Opportunities for Sustainable Public Procurement|
The European Commission is expected to propose a revision of public procurement legislation by early 2012.¬† A primary objective of this revision is to allow procurers to make better strategic use of public procurement.
ClientEarth’s briefing series, Identifying Opportunities for Sustainable Public Procurement, aims to consolidate, clarify, and expand opportunities to use public procurement to contribute to sustainable development objectives. In the briefings ClientEarth identifies areas that need to be addressed by the revision of the procurement legislation in order to create an enabling framework for sustainable public procurement, not only providing legal certainty around some key questions but also striving for flexibility and simplification to enable greater take-up of sustainable public procurement possibilities.
To read¬†an overview of our briefing series, click here
To read the overview in French, click here
The series comprises eight briefings discussing:
(1) the sustainable development objectives of the European Union | Read the briefing
(2) the concept of horizontal procurement objectives and the scope of the EU’s authority to regulate the procurement activities of Member States | Read the briefing
(3) how the principles of transparency, equal treatment, and proportionality are understood in the context of procurement | Read the briefing
(4) how sustainability criteria are ‘linked to the subject matter’ of contracts for sustainable goods and services | Read the briefing
(5) technical specifications | Read the briefing
(6) selection criteria | Read the briefing
(7) award criteria | Read the briefing
(8) specific conditions (also known as contract performance conditions) | Read the briefing